Travelers often have strong opinions in the backpack versus suitcase debate - you may even be thinking about your preference as you begin reading this blog post. But the truth is there are pros and cons to both backpacks and suitcases, and the best option often depends on the type of travel you are about to embark on. To help make the selection between a backpack or suitcase for your next trip, let's break it down.
- Extremely mobile
- Fits just as much stuff if packed correctly
- Lots of pockets!
- Lighter weight compared to a suitcase
- Can be heavy and/or uncomfortable
- More difficult to organize
- More difficult to lock a backpack
- Finding the right size matters
When it's best
Backpacks are great to use on trips where you will be on the move a lot. The more destinations on your trip, the more reason to bring a backpack. If your travel destination features cobblestone roads, dirt paths, narrow hallways, or lots of stairs, you should probably consider a backpack. When mobility and practicality are more important than carrying your bag on your shoulders and the higher likelihood that your clothes will be wrinkled, choose a backpack!
- Hard-shell suitcases can take a beating
- Easier to pack and repack
- Can be waterproof
- Roll easily on flat surfaces
- Difficult to carry up stairs
- Difficult to use on uneven surfaces
- Often take up more space
- Not as mobile as backpacks
When it's Best
Suitcases with rolling wheels are a great choice when you have one or few travel destinations on your list. If you are on a slightly more luxurious trip where you might not be carrying your bag yourself, or if you aren't moving around much, you likely will not have to worry about most of the cons of carrying a suitcase making it an awesome choice. When ease of access, organization and style are more important than moving freely and flexibly, choose a suitcase!
Pick up one of our Travel Notebooks to go along with your backpack or suitcase for your next trip!